Frequently Asked Questions: Student Day
Payment and Registration:
How do I pay for our Student Day workshop(s)?
- In order to finalize your reservation, full payment or a completed DOE Purchase Order must be received within 30 days of the invoice date or two weeks prior to your first program date, whichever comes first. Your date(s) on hold will be removed and your reservation will be cancelled if payment is not received by this deadline. You may pay in full using a credit card by following the link on your invoice. Checks made out to the “Center for Architecture” are also accepted and should be mailed with your invoice to Center for Architecture, K-12 Education, 536 LaGuardia Place, New York, NY 10012. We do not accept cash payments.
What if we need to cancel or reschedule our Student Day workshop(s)?
- All requests to cancel or reschedule your Student Day workshop(s) must be received in writing at least three business days prior to the scheduled visit date by emailing our Education Program Coordinator at email@example.com. There is a $50 cancelation fee per workshop. If notice of cancellation is not received in this timeframe, schools are responsible for full payment. We will try to reschedule your program if possible. If you are unable to reschedule your program date, you are responsible for the $50 cancellation fee. If the Center for Architecture needs to cancel a program, schools will receive a full refund or the opportunity to reschedule without penalty.
What times are available for booking workshops?
- We offer Student Day workshops anytime between 10:00 am – 4:00 pm from Monday – Friday. When filling out your Student Day Request Form, you will have the option to input your first and second preferred workshop time and date. The Education Program Coordinator will review your request and let you know if those preferred dates and times are available, otherwise you will be offered alternatives.
Can we combine smaller classes into one Student Day workshop?
- No. Classes of any size may not be combined in a single Student Day workshop. If you are booking for more than one class, please list each class separately during the reservation process. This policy is for both in-person and virtual workshops. If you have any questions about specific circumstances, please contact our Education Program Coordinator by calling 212-358-6127 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How many classes can visit at a time?
- We can accommodate a maximum of two classes at the same time, given available classroom space at our Center. Due to this limited availability, please allow extra time to plan for and schedule a double-group visit.
Is there a limit on the number of workshops I can book for my school?
- Due to the shared nature of our space and our educators’ availability, each school or organization is limited to book up to 6 classes.
Can the Center for Architecture visit my school for a Student Day workshop?
- No. You can book a Student Day workshop in-person at the Center for Architecture or as a live, virtual workshop streamed into your classroom. If you have any questions about specific circumstances, please contact our Education Program Coordinator by calling 212-358-6127 or emailing email@example.com.
Visiting the Center for Architecture:
What if we are late?
- If your group is running late, please notify our Education Program Coordinator by calling 212-358-6127 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or call our Front Desk at (212) 358-6121. If you need to leave at the originally scheduled time, our Design Educator will shorten your program accordingly to finish at the originally designated time. If you have the flexibility to stay longer and if we can accommodate this last-minute change, your group will have the opportunity to stay up to 15 additional minutes to make up for missed time.
How many chaperones should accompany us?
- We recommend one chaperone for every ten students. One group may not have more than six chaperones. There is no additional fee for adult chaperones. We expect that chaperones will be engaged and active participants throughout the workshop.
Do students or chaperones need to show proof of vaccination?
- Students and chaperones are not required show proof of vaccination to enter the Center for Architecture. However, masks are required of all Student Day participants (adults and students) and should be worn properly for the duration of your visit while inside the museum. For more information, please refer to our COVID Health and Safety Protocols.
Can our class explore the Center for Architecture before or after our workshop?
- Unfortunately, due to the shared nature of our space, we are not able to invite unaccompanied student groups to visit our exhibitions. If you are interested in booking an exhibition program or tour for your student group, please contact our Education Program Coordinator by calling 212-358-6127 or emailing email@example.com.
Can we eat lunch at the Center for Architecture?
- We do not allow visiting school groups to eat lunch at the Center for Architecture. Bottled beverages that can be closed are permitted during the workshop.
What should my students bring?
- It can be helpful to bring reusable bags to carry completed models home. For the Green Architecture Student Day workshop, students have the option to bring in recycled materials (small cardboard boxes/tubes, etc.) to use to craft their green building models. Otherwise, the Center for Architecture will provide all the necessary supplies and materials for the workshop.